Logo Advokátní kancelář roku 2023

Login to the Job Centre

Are you out of work and don’t know what to do next? When do you have to register with the Job Centre and how does it work? Will you get support at all, and how long can you get it? All these questions are answered in this article.

7 minutes of reading

Chapters of the article

When do I register with the Job Centre?

Many people believe that registering with the Job Centre is an obligation. However, this is not the case. Whether you want to register with the Job Centre is entirely up to you. However, if you want to receive unemployment benefits, then you will actually have to register with the Job Centre. So in what cases is it possible to register with the Job Centre?

After the end of the employment relationship

If you are due to be made redundant on a certain date and are interested in receiving unemployment benefits, it is best to register within three working days of leaving your job. In this case, your unemployment benefit will start the day after you leave your job. However, whether you get unemployment benefits depends on whether you have paid pension contributions for at least 12 months in the past two years. The amount is then based on your average net earnings in your last job. For the first two months you will receive a benefit equivalent to 65% of this earnings, 50% for the next two months and 45% for the rest of the time.

Did you get fired?

We’ll make sure you get everything you’re entitled to in the event of termination. We’ll help you defend yourself against your employer. We will offer a solution in as little as two days, nationwide.

After termination or interruption of the trade

You can register with the Job Centre as soon as you notify the Trade Licensing Office that you have stopped or ceased your trade. If you have been paying pension insurance under the same conditions as above, you are entitled to unemployment benefit. The amount of the benefit is determined on the basis of the last assessment base calculated on a calendar month.

After graduation

If you do not have an appointment to work after graduation, this does not mean that you have to register with the Job Centre. You should only register if you want the Job Centre to help you find a job or if you are unable to pay the insurance yourself. You will also only get support if you have paid pension contributions for at least 12 months in the last two years. It doesn’t matter whether you get it from your main job, from a contract job or from your business.

Again, it’s best to apply within 3 days of graduation (or after you lose your student status) to ensure a smooth transition and avoid having to pay contributions. If you successfully complete your secondary education, your student status ends on the last day of the summer holidays – 31 August. However, if you are unsuccessful, you lose your student status on the day you leave school.

After sick leave

If you lose your job while you are on sick leave, this does not mean that you will lose your sickness benefits. Nor does it mean that you have to pay social security and health insurance during the rest of your sick leave. However, you can only register with the Jobcentre once your sick leave ends. Again, the conditions for unemployment benefit are the same as those mentioned above.

Tip: What is an employee entitled to if they get sick? What benefits is a worker entitled to if they fall ill for a long period of time and how long does the employer have to keep their job? Can he be required to work at least part of the time while he is home sick? Read our next article to find out.

After parental leave or ending care for a loved one

If you don’t have a job to return to when you finish parental leave or care for a loved one, you should register with the Job Centre. Again, the 3 working day rule applies. You are eligible if you have spent 12 months caring for a minor child or a close relative in the last two years, or if you have worked and paid pension contributions for 12 months during that time (the two periods can be added together). Again, the amount of the benefit is calculated from your net pay in your last job.

You can register with the Job Centre without claiming benefits and without being unemployed. However, in this case you will not be registered as a jobseeker but as a jobseeker. Jobseekers in this case are people who have a job but want to change it or feel threatened by losing it. As a jobseeker, the Job Centre will then find you suitable employment. You are also entitled to other services provided by the Job Centre, such as paid retraining courses.

Tip: Planning to quit your job? We will review and possibly edit and complete the notice you have written or prepare a flawless, tailor-made notice. We will advise you on how to proceed if, for example, your employer does not want to accept your resignation. If the situation should escalate in any way, we will advise on what evidence to provide.

How do I apply to the Job Centre?

You can register with the Job Centre in person at your place of residence. However, you can now register with the Job Centre remotely and online, using a data box or email with an electronic signature. Alternatively, you can send your application by post or hand it in in person at any Job Centre.

By when do I need to register with the Job Centre? Registration must always be completed within three days after the end of employment, studies, etc. This is the only way to ensure a smooth follow-up.

What do I need to register with the Job Centre?

If you want to be registered as a jobseeker or jobseeker, you will need to bring the following documents to the Job Centre:

  • ID card or other proof of identity (e.g. driving licence or passport).
  • Confirmation of termination of employment (e.g. termination contract) or confirmation of compensatory time (this includes, for example, the aforementioned care of a loved one or parental leave).
  • Proof of highest level of education completed (e.g. school leaving certificate or diploma).

If you are also applying for unemployment benefits, you will need to provide additional documents:

  • Pension registration certificate (this should be issued by your employer, but you can also apply for it at the Czech Social Security Administration)
  • Confirmation of employment, i.e. a credit certificate given to you by your employer, or evidence of other gainful employment.
  • Your employer’s confirmation of your income, i.e. your average earnings.
  • If you are self-employed, you must provide evidence of your pension contributions and assessment base.

Tip: Do you have any legal questions about the Job Centre and unemployment benefits? Email us and you will have an answer from one of our attorneys within 48 hours.

How long can I stay at the Job Centre?

There is no time limit on how long you can be registered with the Job Centre. What does have a time limit is the length of time you will be paid unemployment benefits. This is determined based on your age as follows:

  • you are entitled to 5 months of unemployment benefit up to the age of 50
  • over 50 and up to 55 you are entitled to 8 months of benefit
  • over 55 you are entitled to 11 months of benefit

Are you solving a similar problem?

Dostupný advokát team of online lawyers will solve it for you.

I have given notice from my job

When you quit your job, we can help you defend yourself against your employer’s actions and make sure you get everything you’re entitled to from them. This includes, for example, any wages or severance pay you are owed. We provide assistance throughout the country and at a predetermined price.

Preset Prices
All services pre-priced for no surprises.
We Do Everything Online
Save time, money and the hassle of travel.
We Work Fast
90 % of issues get solved by the following day.
Experienced Team
We have specialists for every field of law.

Has this content helped you? Give it a rating

No rating yet. Be first to rate and help others.

Author of the article

JUDr. Ondřej Preuss, Ph.D.

Ondřej is the attorney who came up with the idea of providing legal services online. He's been earning his living through legal services for more than 10 years. He especially likes to help clients who may have given up hope in solving their legal issues at work, for example with real estate transfers or copyright licenses.

  • Law, Ph.D, Pf UK in Prague
  • Law, L’université Nancy-II, Nancy
  • Law, Master’s degree (Mgr.), Pf UK in Prague
  • International Territorial Studies (Bc.), FSV UK in Prague

Reviews of the Dostupný advokát service

Recenze služby

Jan Vrátný, Veselí nad Lužnicí

before 3 years

I work as a self-employed craftsman and I know my field very well. Unexpected events happen, however, and I sometimes have to deal with problems where I need quality legal advice. I don’t like calling legal offices, getting sucked into discussions with terms I don’t understand. Dostupnyadvokat.cz is different. My first time, they replied immediately (zobrazit více) and together we created a contract custom tailored to my exact needs. I continue to be very happy with both their work and their price.

Recenze služby

Tomáš Hrdlička, Nové Strašecí

before 3 years

I felt very uncomfortable meeting an attorney in person. But Dostupný advokát managed to solve everything for me online. I bought a consultation because my employer had sent me for a long term business trip to an exotic country with no explanation, and I wanted to be sure what my rights in this situation were. (zobrazit více) The Skype consultation was very pleasant and the service was fast. I can fully recommend them.

Recenze služby

Zuzana Marková, Prague

before 3 years

We had terms and conditions drafted for our gym, and now we are very glad that we did so. Clear relationship rules are the basis for lasting friendships, and never more so than in the business world!

View All Testimonials

You could also be interested in

About us in public media
Logo Česká advokátní komora Logo Advokátní kancelář roku 2023
Follow the news
Facebook Dostupný advokát Twitter / X Dostupný advokát